The Cairns Museum has amazing stories to share about living in the tropics.
Stories of heat, sweat and hard work. Of cane, railways, rainforests and reefs. Of White Australia, Aboriginal resistance and European isolation. Tales of tourists, hippies and local celebrations, amidst humidity, cyclones, toads, mould and mozzies.
Come in and discover the real Cairns!
The Cairns Museum showcases the Cairns Historical Society’s amazing collection of objects, photographs and archival records. This collection holds the secrets and memories of the people, places, events and changing environment of Cairns and Far North Queensland.
- 1870 P03296. A view of Aloomba farm, Mulgrave River 1878
- 1900 P03367. Chinese market gardener's house, Freshwater 1900
- 1910 P17488. Troop ship “Kanowna” leaving Cairns wharf, in first operation of First World War, August 1914
- 1930 P15896. Rex Lookout, Cook Highway, 1930s
- 1940 P16092. Navy Beach Commandos (NBC) marching on the Cook Highway, Cairns, 1944
- 1950 P01798: Behana Creek water supply under construction, 1954
- 1960 P16136. Canecutter, Holloways Beach area, 1963
- 1970 P23015. Aurukun children meeting the Bush Pilots mail plane, 1970
- 2000 P21671. Boat ramp showing Tawny’s Restaurant, Casino and Hilton Hotel 2000