Welcome to the Cairns Historical Society and Cairns Museum
In the Cairns Historical Society Research Centre and Museum you will find over 60,000 ways to discover the history of tropical North Queensland.
Our collection covers the area from Cardwell to Normanton and north to the Torres Strait, taking in most of the Wet Tropics, Cape York Peninsula and the eastern Gulf of Carpentaria. Cairns is a major focus.
Visit the Cairns Museum or contact our Research Centre to delve into the records of Far North Queensland.
- 1870 P03296. A view of Aloomba farm, Mulgrave River 1878
- 1900 P03367. Chinese market gardener's house, Freshwater 1900
- 1910 P17488. Troop ship “Kanowna” leaving Cairns wharf, in first operation of First World War, August 1914
- 1930 P15896. Rex Lookout, Cook Highway, 1930s
- 1940 P16092. Navy Beach Commandos (NBC) marching on the Cook Highway, Cairns, 1944
- 1950 P01798: Behana Creek water supply under construction, 1954
- 1960 P16136. Canecutter, Holloways Beach area, 1963
- 1970 P23015. Aurukun children meeting the Bush Pilots mail plane, 1970
- 2000 P21671. Boat ramp showing Tawny’s Restaurant, Casino and Hilton Hotel 2000